Skip to main content

tv   The Five  FOX News  January 15, 2015 1:00am-2:01am PST

1:00 am
om this on fbn, 8:00 p.m. see you then. hello everyone i'm dana perrino along with kimberly guilfoyle and greg gutfeld. it's 5:00 in new york city, and this is "the five." al qaeda in yemen has claimed responsibility for last week's attack on "charlie hebdo" just a few months after president obama cited yemen as a counterterror success story. >> the strategy of taking out terrorists who threaten us while supporting partners on the front lines is one that we have successfully pursued in yemen and somalia for years. >> thanks to our military and counterterrorism professionals, we took out osama bin laden, much of al qaeda's leadership in afghanistan and pakistan, and leaders of al qaeda affiliates in yemen and somalia. >> and then how come the
quote
1:01 am
administration expect to vanquish terror if it won't even identify who the enemy is? >> france your ally in this effort, has put a name on this ideology which he called radical islam. you have bent over backwards to never say that. >> i certainly wouldn't want to be in a position where i'm repeating the justification that they have cited that i think is completely illegitimate that they have invoked islam to try to justify their attacks. we have not chosen to use that label because it doesn't seem to accurately describe had happened. >> okay. the yemen connection has raised new concerns about transfers of former gitmo detainees to the country country, especially in light of the rate that former prisoners are returning to the battlefields. republican senators are now introducing legislation that would put serious restrictions on the president's ability to transfer prisoners out of gitmo for the remainder of his term. i just took a look earlier today, i understand the goal and
1:02 am
the desire to close gitmo. however, in this situation, of the 127 detainees left, which we have a list here, 81 of those detainees are from yemen. and one of the things you could try to do is gitmo is send them to other countries and expect them to hold them and make sure that they are not going to return to the battlefield. but i think this legislation by the republicans is kind of smart. it's just like for a pause, let's gather ourselves before we rush to closing gitmo, agree? >> i think earlier today the white house or someone from capitol hill on the democrats' side said the recidivism rate isn't as high as a lot of the news agencies have been how do you know? >> well, we had the national -- the director of national intelligence said it's 30%. >> yeah. and they tried to squash that today. they put the number somewhere around under 10%. the point is how do you know? if you're tracking them and following them and they return to the battlefield -- kill them. i mean, they should be 100% let them go back and then kill them. but the only way to know if it's
1:03 am
10% or 30% is because you know where they are. if you know where they are kill them. so today a couple of pieces of news came out. islamic state, al qaeda took responsibility for the attack in paris. and also, boko haram released a video praising the attack in paris. so we now know that al qaeda, boko haram, isis, they're all together. they're all playing -- they're all cut from the same cloth and the encloses is muz imex-slim extremism. it's time we start calling it what it is. >> there was breaking news before we came on air an ohio man, christopher lee cornell also known as ubaidi, he was arrested on charges of attempting to kill a u.s. government official. he wanted to wage jihad with bombs and guns inside the capitol building. we don't know a lot about him yet, if he was sophisticated or not. we know there's at least somebody that law enforcement was able to get before he tried anything.
1:04 am
>> right. i mean, this is no surprise. we know we don't need to have a bulletin or a top-secret memo come out to say that there are sleeper cells that are active in the united states. they are waiting for the opportunity. the one thing that we know for sure that the enemy has is patience. and they have patience to wait to take the path of least resistance. they will take their moment here, and we have to be ready. that's why it's really problematic that this administration in general, have such a reluck, such a loathing to call the enemy what it is. why not label them, and why are we releasing them? we're directly helping their recruiting efforts and resupplying their forces by letting these guys out of gitmo. why would we do that? they're lucky to even be in gitmo. they're lucky to even be breathing and now we're going to let them go to yemen to the "star wars" bar scene so they can do more harm wherever they can find an opportunity. it's frightening. and i fully support this legislation. put a pause on it. >> it used to be bob that the
1:05 am
goal for closing national -- the goal for closing gitmo from the obama administration side was because it hurt our national security. but in all of the recent attacks from boko haram isis, al qaeda and canada australia, england with that beheading, no one is -- none of those organizations, terrorist organizations, loosely affiliated, are citing gitmo. they're citing jihad. and i'm wondering from your perspective, for folks sitting at home, is it understandable that they are confused about the president's position on fighting terror especially at the podium? they go to such lengths to not say islamic terror? >> you know, we talked about this yesterday. first of all the last of the people in guantanamo are probably the worst of -- i mean, the bush administration let a lot of them go. the obama administration let a lot of them go. some of them did go back to the battlefield. we don't know how many exactly.
1:06 am
by the way, you've seen these trm term terms, al qaeda, they all fly under the same banner. islamic jihadists. and i have to think that somewhere the president made the decision, maybe because he didn't want to -- he thought he was going to alienate 1.1 billion -- >> 1.6 billion. >> -- 1.6 billion muslims, that he made the decision no the to use that. if this is not -- we said this yesterday. it's not a coincidence that all of these -- from the press office or the secretary of state don't use the word. it had to come from the president. and what his reason is, i don't know. >> do you think he's going to need to splaun that? explain that? >> i think he should explain it. i said yesterday, i don't think you explain it by having people not say it. >> right. just explain why. >> why we don't want to do it. right. >> but yesterday we were trying to figure out what was the term? foreign terror. they wouldn't say war on terror. >> yeah. >> and they just couldn't bring themselves to call it a war on terror. combat terrorism. and now for some reason they have this weird word game.
1:07 am
they don't want to say things like it's not happening. >> it's like the overseas contingency operation. let me ask greg actually. trying to be persuasive, you're trying to lead an effort to counterterrorism it doesn'tdoes it matter what you call it? >> imagine if you had an exterminator come to your house and you have a serious roach problem. he goes we don't like to call them roaches. we like to call them little happy flowery things. and we don't want to kill them. we need to reeducate them. you can't educate killers, especially ruthless killers. the idea -- what troubles me mostly, we've had this debate about gitmo forever. it exposes a priority that doesn't make any sense. if you're in the middle of a snowstorm, the first thing you do is you don't strip to your undyes. and that's what we're doing. instead of closing gitmo we should be expanding it. we should be franchising it. make it, like taco bell, but it's terror bell. and this is an interesting thing about president obama's concern over islamophobia. why the obsession to close
1:08 am
gitmo? that, in a weird way exposes the president's bigotry because why would a prison that houses terrorists be offensive to muslims? if religion is not a factor. if you believe that religion is not a factor you should not be worrying about offending 1.7 billion because you have a place that holds terrorists. but by making the link that somehow gitmo is offensive to muslim muslims, you are the bigot. i don't see a religion when i see a terrorist. i just see somebody get killed. if you take religion out of the equation, then why are they so sensitive after a terror attack? after every attack, they yell backlash, and that backlash is louder than anybody shouting radical islam. that's hypocrisy. why the defensive -- why the defensive stance after people kill? that's islamophobia. >> they have it. >> i was talking to a former
1:09 am
military general over at o'reilly's earlier. he said, you know, bob, i will say this. you're right about isis. isis has taken a beating on the ground. their leadership, and interestingly enough, i didn't know this in afghanistan, the afghani military is actually doing a pretty good job holding off the taliban. >> that wasn't peter who said that. >> no, it certainly wasn't that. >> and that would be well and good. >> i just think we ought to at least acknowledge the fact that there is some progress being made. >> i think that's debatable. go ahead. >> even go further. they're telling me in my ear that there is breaking news right now that isis just infiltrated where? southern afghanistan. okay. so they're telling me that isis just infiltrated southern afghanistan. >> you know why? >> i'm simply saying for two or three days we've said it's working. >> because they're being pushed back. they're going to one place they can find protection. >> you know what we should do?
1:10 am
push them back into syria. stop trying to kill them. let syria deal with their problem that they started. that's where they came from. push them back there. >> but pushing back isn't a philosophy to win a war. that's just, like shuffling around like a shell game. you have to destroy them. you have to annihilate them so they are no longer in existence because otherwise then they crop back up and they get a new name they hire a new york pr company, and now it's not isis or aqap. it's somebody else. >> let me ask you one thing about taking your eye off the ball when you were talking about the priorities and stripping to your undies in a snowstorm or whatever that was. the fact that we have so many western nationals from europe and america that have gone to places like syria yemen afghanistan or libya to train and come back, isn't our bigger problem now the fact that we have the sleeper cells to deal with? >> right. >> we're fighting on ult inging on multiple fronts. >> yeah, i mean, these aren't people that weren't born people.
1:11 am
these are radicalized citizens which means why we need the nsa. we need people to track these people because they are not foreigners. they are here. they're radicalized in prison. you know the media creates a strawman army. whenever you condemn radical islam, what they do is they say, but there are millions of peaceful muslims. so why do you say this? but did it ever occur to you that there can be both? there are peaceful muslims and there are bad ones? and every time sathat you say that, you are making it harder and harder for the peaceful muslims to actually stand up and fight the nonpeaceful ones by combining them together. they use children to kill. you cannot have a summit on tolerance to dissuade people from using children to blow things up. they use children to blow things up. you can't persuade them of anything. it's like taking an earthquake to a therapist or teach an endtable to dance. it's impossible. buying a magazine is not enough.
1:12 am
>> we've got -- what france learned about homegrown cells, they paid a price for, we are also having homegrown cells here. >> right. >> i would start in detroit if i were looking for them, by the way. and by the way it's interesting, it's sometimes -- it's four against one -- sometimes we all feel like islamic terrorism, but it would be nice to have somebody up in the booth who actually gives you some information. it would be helpful. >> you didn't think that was helpful? >> okay. whatever. but for days you've been making a point on something that people have said on twitter, i literally get -- why do you let him say that and push back? >> because it's true. >> because it's five people sitting here and we have literally seven or eight minutes. and we've got to get out of these segments. that's why. before we go we're running out of time, can we just talk about what kara did? >> i was going to call for that sound bite. i get to go ahead. i get the permission from the man upstairs. watching this press conference earlier today they're complaining about the cartoon
1:13 am
they put up yesterday and sold about 5 million magazines on. >> we will not allow ourselves to be victim extremists on both sides. why do we defend the right for someone to speak their mind, to do whatever they want? we are not willing to respect the feelings of almost 2 million people around the world, 25% or 20% of the world population. >> it would have been amazing if he came out and said i love it. >> yeah. he should have just come out and said look we condemn those acts that happened over and point a finger at violent extremists within islam. instead he said there are extremists on both sides. the problem is with the violent extremists on islam's side they're the murderous thugs killing people. and on the other, they call extremists, they're the ones who are dead and lying in blood in office buildings in the people. >> sounds like marie harf.
1:14 am
>> they failed once again to take an opportunity to be what you're supposed to be. council for american islamic relations. you didn't do it cair. >> did i miss it? did he say we defend the right to say what you want to say? that's what he said, right? >> he did but then he said there are extremists on both sides and they didn't like the cover and complaining about it. >> that's too bad. >> think about this. we know with rape that you never, ever blame the victim. but with terror, you can. >> always. >> if you're cair. >> yeah. it's always their fault, too. >> everybody, we're going to go to break. >> they had it coming. they dressed the part. >> that's right. just like a woman who dressed suggestively. >> i do really have to get out of here. >> i know. >> we're all going to think about your snowstorm unclothing. >> would anybody like -- that cartoon made into a t-shirt. i'm going to wear it. anybody else want to wear it? they won't let me wear it on the
1:15 am
air. i tried to today. >> will it be a v-neck or a crew neck? >> how about a mesh top? >> a belly shirt. >> oh god. >> now we're all going to have to contemplate that during the break. the president wants to make community college free to everyone, but there's no such thing as a free lunch, so who's on the hook? you guessed it. you are. next.
1:16 am
1:17 am
1:18 am
1:19 am
♪ on friday afternoon, president obama unveiled a fairly radical new education proposal in knoxville, tennessee. listen. >> i'm announcing an ambitious new plan to bring down the cost of community college tuition in america. i want to bring it down to zero. i want to make it free. community colleges should be free for those willing to work for it. >> well what the president's failed to mention in his remarks is the cost isn't free. it's $60 billion over ten years a price tag that you and i, the taxpayer, will foot. we want to find out some recent college graduates' reaction of the president's proposed plan. so we sent a producer to the campus of nyu.
1:20 am
here are the results. ♪ >> i think that is a great idea. it's very long overdue. >> i definitely support the idea of education for all people. >> for the right people it makes sense for them to be able to have, like, a free college fund. >> philosophically, i like the number. obviously we would have to look at the numbers. >> everyone deserves education. everyone deserves that equal opportunity. who do i think would pay for it? is it the state? >> i guess somehow taxpayers. >> as a taxpayer i would be pissed if my money was sort of going to dropouts, i guess, yeah. >> so i guess we're still paying for it? so is it really free, then? >> congratulations. >> i love that logic. >> so take that one. so we are pay -- so it's not just free? >> that was a little disingenuous on the president's part. when a politician says free ice
1:21 am
cream for everybody, it means somebody has to pay for it. now, if you say free ice cream for everybody, there's going to be a lot of people who say that sounds like a great idea. an interesting thing about this, in the last two years of a president's term, you know, you've got to think of something new that you can maybe try to get passed. and i don't think this they actually believe this will get passed, but i am curious about one thing. there's an organization in the government that gives pell grants to people. pell grants have expanded in the last three administrations. they work really well. it's actually the same thing. if you qualify for a pell grant, you don't -- they'd have to pay for your community college. it covers that. i don't see how this is any different. >> it sounds like he's suggesting that any takers can probably access it. k.g. cradle to the grave now we're up to what when you graduate college? 20, 22 years old. so they've got you covered almost the whole way. >> yeah, pacifier to the grave. why don't we actually make sure that children can read and write
1:22 am
at even a fifth grade level. let's start out with that. i mean he's really jumping the shark with the community college situation. where's he going to get it? he doesn't care because it sounds good. he sounds like the greatest guy ever. it's like health care. you know, empty promises. and then oh. as it turns out, who's going to get hit the hardest? the middle class once again. this is the most punitive administration towards the middle class that we have seen in a very, very long time. and how about putting some money towards vocational school that actually produced manufacturing and other areas that people can actually have a future and a career and do something to put money -- to put food on the table and have money in their pockets? that's what we should do. >> good call. hey, greg, can the government do anything right? >> well, the military. but the reason why the military is so great is that they're far away from a lot of the government excess and a lot of bureaucracy. completion rates in community colleges are awful. one out of five students complete college in 150% of the
1:23 am
time they're supposed to take it. so just even one-fifth, it takes them 1 1/2 times as long. you compare that to the for-profit colleges the people who make money, there's a 63% completion rate. the lesson is that people value what they pay for. you don't lose anything if you throw something away that was given to you for free. so essentially what president obama's doing is what a lot of young people do like. they're offering you a time-out from life. taxpayers are going to pay for two years of you dabbling of you trying to discover yourself, trying to figure out what you want to be in life. it's not a serious consideration of your future if it's on somebody else's dime. >> hey, bob another big concern of this is people are saying you know, we have a lot of issues with common core. are they going to institute some sort of common core through you know, two years of college now, too? >> no. i assume they're not. but you know one of the things that does not quite make sense to me is you could take the pell grants and increase the size.
1:24 am
that's what they were meant for, for people who could not afford to go to. the other thing is on trade schools, you know, we issue taxes and bonds. and trade schools benefit from that because a lot of the students that go there like, for example, itt. i used to represent those people. i should make that clear. they do use that money for mechanics and airlines, and they do well. they make a lot of money. >> more than one-third of students when they leave 12th grade, if they graduate from high school, more than one-third of them, if they go to college they have to take remedial-level courses. so i think a better effort would be to improve the last two years of high school so that then you can then you know, go to a certification school, gh too to a four-year college or travel the world. whatever you want to do. those two years shouldn't have to be repeated for free in the next two years. by the time you're 20, you're still at a 12th grade reading level. >> i'm still taking classes
1:25 am
myself. >> how about increasing the availability of a student loan rather than a grant or just declaring everything for free? >> it's worth talking about, though, but the student loan situation, that's the next bubble that's going to burst. >> no question. however, better than just here's the handout. right? >> what about increasing the tax deferment thing when the child is born? >> beautiful. yeah. >> that little account you can make. >> all the idea where you have to pay it back you're at least responsible to the point that greg was making, if you're at least responsible for something that you're paying into the system, you're more likely going to guard it. >> subsidies allow you to raise prices which makes it easier -- more easier to afford for the rich and not for the poor. >> what about making tax-deductible college education? >> that would be a great republican idea. >> that's another one. you like lower taxes. i love it. >> and it's pro-family. >> i would like to take my kids' tuition. >> he's just looking out for bob. >> correct. >> you're going to add to people's suspicions.
1:26 am
>> we've got to go. >> so you may know by now "homeland" is one of my favorite tv shows. for four seasons, the plot revolved around terrorism. that could be changing. did real-life terrorism play a role in the decision to alter "homeland's" story line coming up.
1:27 am
1:28 am
1:29 am
1:30 am
let me ask you a question chris. would you be surprised that they've credited you with over 160 kills? do you ever think that you might have seen things or done some things over there that you wish you hadn't? >> oh, that's not me, no. >> that's a clip from "american sniper," the new biographical war drama based on the life of chris krilyle, the most lethal sniper in u.s. military history.
1:31 am
it was directed by clint eastwood who was just asked about violence in his films and if he ever tires of it. here's his answer. >> no because it is -- it's an important subject. and what it does to people and what it's constantly doing now. and it's just all -- everything is -- nothing changes. >> okay. so eric, he feels that this is necessary, to be able to see violence, that it's the reality in the world that we live in. >> the person director the film and writing the screenplay is accurate. we see so many films where they water down it makes us look bad. we shouldn't be in certain places. you saw it right? >> yes, i did. >> i haven't seen it yet. i can't comment it. home >>ist a great film. >> by the way, huge fan of chris kyle and jesse generalventura, loser. >> we can all concur on that.
1:32 am
>> not really. i still don't buy the final story. i think ventura might be right. so there you go. you can't just say that without any proof. he's suing him for a reason. no, that's a problem. that's a problem. we still don't know what happened. >> i don't know. i personally talked to six of the guys that were there in the barna night, so i actually believe them. i don't believe they would go on to serve their country so honorably and perjure themselves on the stand. >> that's another subject. going back to eastwood who is my man. he really began the real violent movie, remember the spaghetti westerns, the hang 'em high, "the good, bad and the ugly." my brother's done some movies with him and he does believe strongly in showing what happens. if you look at what's on video games now, those are the most violent things you could possibly imagine they put out there. >> it's got -- the key here, it's not about quantity. it's about quality.
1:33 am
like your brother's movie, "l.a. confidential," is an amazing film because the violence was real. "trainspotting," "clockwork orange." all these movies weren't filled with violence, but the violence was precise and necessary. i think -- and it has to be satisfying. it has to actually -- you have to go okay this makes sense. the problem with violence these days is that it's primarily gratuitous. it started in 1992 with "reservoir dogs" with quentin tarn teenantino so that it romanticized bloodshed and suffering so that people always had to do better. to do worse. they had to make it worse to get more attention. >> isis. >> yeah. but if you go back at movies that are really shocking like "clockwork orange" or even "the road warrior" or even "dirty harry," those movies don't actually have that much violence. but you remember them. >> yes, you do. >> let's talk about "homeland," right?
1:34 am
getting a lot of buzz. and the question is are the creators of "homeland" cowering to radical islam and terrorism? take a listen to this. >> by the grace of god, we will strike the heaviest blow at the crusaders who occupy our country. how long have they flown over our homes? bombed our weddings and funerals murdered our women and children? we will drive them from our skies. we will show their crimes to the world. >> all right. sorry. "homeland," season 4. >> i'm on the second show of season 4. so i didn't know that that's what happened. we just spoiled ourselves on the show. i watch the show "homeland" and other shows where there's violence. i tend to more listen than watch. i'll avert my eyes. and maybe it's the music right? the music cues you that something really bad is going to happen. i think it's one of the reasons
1:35 am
i couldn't watch "breaking bad" because that was, like -- that violence came out of the clear blue sky. that was too -- it was too much for me. i hope that "homeland" doesn't change, though. the reason that i love it is because it helps me understand better. i don't think it is all pro -- you know, u.s. side. i think it's fairly balanced. i would imagine that the muslim world doesn't think so. >> they play around a little bit. to their credit, though so much of it is so believable because it's ripped right from the headlines. and that's really why i've loved that show since the very beginning. if they start to pivot and say well, you know let's take a look at other forms of violent extremism, you know, a la the obama administration, i'm not going to watch anymore. the cool thing about "homeland," you don't know if you're watching a documentary or you're watching a drama. >> what's your guess? >> i think they'll continue. it's super successful. it makes a ton of money so i think they'll continue. i hope they do. >> i heard that they're actually going to be -- go up against some crazed methodists. i'm looking forward to that.
1:36 am
also, i think they need to introduce violence into other areas of film like romantic comedies. i think "love actually" would have been so much better with dismemberment at the end. everybody gets dismembered. >> you're absolutely right. >> and that would have been "american psycho." >> yes exactly. much better than "love actually." "love actually," the worst movie ever made. >> yep all right. >> i will not be baited. ahead, do you think you could be separated from your smartphone for an hour? well, how about a day? a lot of people physically can't handle being without theirs. greg's going to tell you all about it next.
1:37 am
1:38 am
1:39 am
1:40 am
♪ i swear by almighty god ♪ according to a new study people separated from their cell phones suffer mental breakdowns. researchers had them solve puzzles while placing their iphones further away. those unable to answer their device had huge jumps in
1:41 am
anxiety, heart rate and blood pressure. conclusion, without your phone you're finished. perhaps whatever anxiety you experienced, after all a security blanket is what you hug when you have nothing else to hug. leaving home without your phone is like leaving home without your pants. a feeling i'm more than familiar with. the anxiety is borne from two made-up stresses. the fear that you are missing out on something like nuclear war or a cat video, and a fear of isolation. it speaks to a mutation of priority. inundated by disposable crap by our synapses we replace thought with distraction. in the good old days, our lives were three concentric circles. you had you you had your family, and you had your community. cell phones pollute such structures creating hundreds of daily intruders. pointless trivia, celebrity tweets, unnecessary texts, temporary outrages adorable ferret videos, which is fine. we're living much longer, after all, and we need to fill this
1:42 am
80-year bucket with something. especially when what we used to fill it with, work family, responsibility seemed eded so quaint so silly. it's why even real outrage these days over terror for example quickly dissipates. a boko haram massacre, it lasts a day, but a cat video that lasts forever. all right, dana i'm going to go to you. how long can you go without your phone? >> well in researching this, i tried to think about the last time i left my phone, and i can't think of one, really. i'm guilty. >> you are guilty. do you feel weird like you're missing a limb? >> i feel that way when i walk from one side of my apartment to the other without my phone. >> keep looking back. >> what an achievement on my part. >> i get stressed when my power level gets maybe around a quarter or less.
1:43 am
this is going to be a problem. i'm thinking of the next place i'll be able to charge my phone. i once went away to the bahamas i think. and i didn't know that i was going to lose cell service. for four days i couldn't get cell service. i couldn't figure out how to get ba bahaman tell to get my cell service. it was torturous. i never got over it. and i told my wife don't take me to that place again. let's never go there again. >> where does this anxiety come from, bob? >> i don't have it. i will say this at this table. one person doesn't have a phone here, and that would be me. >> why? because you left it somewhere? >> no it's in my pocket. >> what do you mean? mine's charging. >> i've lost it three or four times because i don't have my contact list. i can't touch base with people. outside of that, i don't look at twitter or anything. once in a while i look at it,
1:44 am
but it just doesn't -- i don't get -- you guys are glued to these. >> i think it's generational. i do. i think that -- like kimberly's son will grow up -- this will be a part of his world, so maybe he won't have high anxiety because it won't be different. >> well he was panicking last night, worried about his friend teddy changed his code on his phone. he was trying to get back into it. he was, like i want to set up the thumbprint to be able to get in. i mean, they're used to it. he knows more about the phones these days than i do. they grow up with it but i don't know. i don't see how we're going to limit or lower our you know, dependency on it. >> how long could you be without your phone, you think? >> commercial break. >> is it an addiction? >> i think it's just like -- it's just now something you can't be without. i don't know if it's an addiction. >> no, it is an addiction. >> remember when i went? there was a neurosurgeon from san diego. he was volunteering on the ship. he was telling us in his
1:45 am
research has shown that you get like, a little thrill every time you see that there's -- >> we did that topic on this show. >> yeah, i think we did. i developed this thing i call it cellulosis. do you ever have the urge to grab somebody's phone out of their hand and hurl it? i'll be in the theater. somebody's next to me. i want to grab it and i want to throw it. >> if they're texting on it? >> yes. i just want to grab it. >> wasn't there a case where a guy -- >> kevin williams did it, right? kevin williams did it on broadway during a theater. >> isn't cellulite what you don't want have growing on the back of your skin? seriously. >> that's true, bob. >> how did that happen? >> i was trying to figure out what you were talking about. >> i said cellulosis. i just made up a word. ahead, is it a teachable moment, as the left loves to say? jimmy carter thinks so, next.
1:46 am
1:47 am
1:48 am
1:49 am
sorry, eric was telling me about a new drink. former president jimmy carter's made some news over a couple of comments following the jihadist attacks in paris. here's one of them. >> one of the origins for it is the palestinian problem.
1:50 am
you know and this aggravates people who are affiliated in any way with the arab people who live in the west bank and gaza. what they're doing now, what's being done to them. but i think that's part of it. >> carter also believes the attacks could help the world see islam in a better light. >> oh. >> i think this is going to give a lot of people incentive to look into islam and see what it is about this religion that makes it great. that makes it appeal to really billions of people and to understand that the islamic leaders condemn this kind of terrorism just like the rest of the world. >> i work for president carter in the white house so i'll be last to talk here because i'm sure that his comments were not met with a great deal of congratulatory comments here. >> i'm shocked that someone would let an ex-president go out there on "the daily show," no less, and make she's comments. the palestinian problem? and what's being done about the palestinian problem? here's what the palestinian
1:51 am
problem is. the problem is they're part of a group that's financing hamas and hezbollah. hamas and hezbollah are financing terror around the world. which also has its tentacles within the muslim brotherhood. the muslim brotherhood puts up cair in america, kind of a pr front so people say, oh, is islam in america are going to be okay, they're going to get along. meanwhile, there's nothing like that going on whatsoever. >> i think attacks by islamic terrorists have killed many more moderate muslims than anyone else. and not identifying the enemy as radical islamic terrorists and giving them an excuse, that they try to claim, exacerbates a bad situation. i also believe that we have a commander in chief. and he is responsible for setting the foreign policy of the united states, and i think that the formers should either be constructive or quiet.
1:52 am
>> greg? >> three things. france, last time i checked was pretty pro-palestinian, right? >> the u.n. >> that's i had yokt. >> because what he said if your family was attacked, would your first concern be the welfare of your attackers? >> look, i think it's bad. think it is sad. i listened to his words and it just made me feel bad like who is managing him. i don't know if he is doing very well. it seems a stretch for him. i mean that in a nice way. >> most terrorist attacks before 9/11 were grounded out of the palestinian argument. i think it is a piece of it. one thing about jimmy carter. he can say this like bringing the camp david accords into reality he saved israel from a
1:53 am
two front war and that kept israel from having to fight more wars than it did. >> is this an apology? >> no. >> sounds like it. >> sounds like he is confused. >> we got to go. >> one more thing is up next.
1:54 am
1:55 am
time for one more thing. have to say good bye to a life a bull named toy story. he fathered 500,000 offspring. they say he was a dream bull is what the editor said. 500,000 offspring. amazing. congrats to the breeders there i guess. greg, you are next.
1:56 am
. >> greg's secrets to happiness. >> you know when you are throwing out your -- we have a young couple trying to get rid of their pandas. they were tired of them and trying to get them into the trash can. the pandas aren't going to stay in the trash can if you don't have a lid on your trash can. when they leave what happens? the pandas get out and then they wreak havoc. this happened to me last year. the pandas got into my hot tub. it was disgusting what they did in there. they are perverts. >> what is that about? who has a panda in their house? sales up 16% in 2014. some people are crediting this guy.
1:57 am
>> it's not about hugging trees. got to find that balance. >> do you think sales are upcause of matthew mcconaughey? >> i think a car like that is just something you drive. >> absolutely. >> it's official the royals have their own twitter account. i knew you would be excited about that. now you won't be able to put your smart phones down. they are all on board. if you want to get on there right now welcome to our new twitter account. this account represents the duke and duchess of cambridge. >> greg is going to be on there.
1:58 am
bob, you are next. >> this is one of my messages to the masses simply this. that is i care what you think. i just don't care what you think about me. i tried to explain that to my daughter. everybody thinks people think about them they don't. care what people think and not what they think about you and you go further. >> i care about what you think but not what you think about me. >> i am the opposite. i don't care what you think. what do you think about >> it is thursday january 15th, a fox news alert. overnight five more prisoners releasedespite another threats to the u.s. tear terror ties and where they are going. >> another fox news alert
1:59 am
inspired isis and foiled by the feds. the plot to attack the u.s. capital. >> it was a peak performance. two more americans complete the toughest climb in the world. "fox and friends first starts right now. ♪ >> good morning. you are watching "fox & friends first". i am ainsley earhardt. >> i am heather childers. let's get straight to the fox alert for you. breaking overnight the white house releasing five new gitmo detainees all five arrested and suspected of fighting with al qaeda. one of them is even deemed a high risk threat.
2:00 am
doug mcelway is here with what we know. they were released after 12 years in prison four to imam the 5th to astonia. it took this long to find countries willing to take them in. all five were captured in pakistan and all known to have histories of fighting with al qaeda in afghanistan. one had a personal relationship with osama bin laden. the announcement of relief meeting with anger from many republicans from capitol hill. >> the president of the united states concluded that the car on terror has reached a point that we can safely release people from gitmo. the best i can say about him is he is unfocused. that is delusional thinking. it is insane to be letting these people out of gitmo to go back to the

147 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on